Monday, March 21, 2011

Running Around on Purim

Purim, for parents in my community, is a very enjoyable but hectic day. After hearing the megillah, we race around the neighborhood with our children so that they can drop off mishloach manos to their 328 closest friends. With six kids, we were in for a busy day.

Of course, yesterday was not just Purim, it was also Sunday, the holy day for long runs. Fortunately I had a light day, with only ten miles scheduled. Even more fortunately, I am married to the most understanding woman in the world, who recognized that without my run, I would turn from a joyous Purim celebrant to an obnoxious self-pitying ogre. Of course, to top it off, I am usually a stick in the mud, who refuses to get dressed up. Yesterday, my costume was a slow runner trying to get faster, complete with an Under Armor shirt that is so horribly ugly that I bought it on sale (if you have ever tried to buy UA, you know there stuff is NEVER on sale).

Suffice it to say that I had a great run. It was a beautiful day, albeit a bit chilly. I even saw my first “spring robin”, as our youngest son likes to call them. I ran at a too quick pace, which gave me the sense that I am gaining speed. Of course, I over compensated for all the calories I burned and ate waaaay to much junk when I got home. I took a quick shower, said “hi” to my very kind wife and took over the Purim shuttle.

We finished the day with a lovely meal where I made sure that any burned calories I had left from the run were more than used up. It was a glorious Purim and a great start to an exciting week, with a Bar Mitzvah coming up this Shabbos. G-d, family and running. It doesn’t get any better than this.

1 comment:

  1. the holy day for long running in our neck of the woods is Friday. Sunday in Israel is a normal workday, but for most people Friday is not..

    but I didnt get to run on Purim..not a great day

    ReplyDelete