Monday, March 7, 2011

Prophet Sharing

My not quite new shoes will be coming in the mail today. I don’t know how else to describe them. They have never been worn before but they are not the latest version of this shoe made by Asics. I don’t which improvements there were between version 16 and version 17, but I couldn’t see paying $40 for the difference. Still, if there marketing people failed get my extra money; they did succeed in getting into my head. The same shoes that were good enough for me last year, feel out of date and less cool. I made the correct choice, but feel bad about it.

I ran with a friend yesterday who owns a bakery. He told me that his customers are often surprised when he talks them into buying less than they think they will need. He points out that after a large meal, people are less likely to eat desert, and as such, fewer cakes and cookies should be purchased.

The millionaire football players and billionaire owners are trying to avert a work stoppage. On sports radio, the question is constantly asked “With whom are the fans siding?”. My first inclination is to say a pox on both your houses. Are either on the side of the fans? Still, to me the owners are more greedy. Their latest way of making money is by selling personal seat licenses (PSLs). Fans must pay money to have the right to buy seats. If that’s not extortion, I don’t know what is. The obvious answer is simple; stop buying the seats. Still, you are talking about people who have sat with family and friends in the same section for years, or in some cases decades.

I read an article about a man who had a conversation with his father, a rabbi renowned for his righteousness, before he went into business. His father told him that if he sold people things that they need, then he is a businessman. If not, he is something else.

The last time I wrote about a similar topic, a guy I know asked to be removed from my list. It seems my anti-capitalist rant upset him. Either that, or he was scared by the mirror I held up to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment