Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Change of Heart

I suppose it is somewhat ironic that after writing about how running had become a chore, I was due to run the highest mileage of my training this past week. At 67 miles, it was also the most miles I had ever run in a week. So how did it go? Best running I’ve done in a long time, maybe ever.

How can I account for this change in attitude and experience? I think it comes down to admitting my frustration last week. As soon as I was able to admit that I was not enjoying myself, the joy came back. Feelings, it seems, are like little children (and big children and adults) in that they want to be acknowledged. Ignore them and they will figure out a way of getting your attention, quite possibly at a time that will be more inconvenient than the present. Give them a little attention, or simply acknowledge them, and they will feel heard and stop demanding your attention.

Maybe one day I’ll try and apply this to life beyond running.

No comments:

Post a Comment