Friday, January 14, 2011

Taking a Break

I don’t know what to say. Perhaps I should just say nothing. I am tired out. Tired from running long miles on the treadmill. Tired from fundraising, although we reached another goal this week. Just plain tired. I find myself wondering whether I should take a break from trying to raise money through running. By any objective measure, I have been pretty good at it, having raised around $40,000 over the last four years. Still, the pressure of hitting a number got to me this year, at least partially because it was for my mom. Asking the same people again has been tough. I can’t say that I would respond as well as many of my friends did. Still, at some point, shouldn’t I take a break and give them a break? I have seen those who wonder whether it is right to get a trip from a charity in exchange for raising funds. I have my answers to the question, good answers, but even so, I do sometimes wonder. I look forward to writing without a web address at the end. I look forward to running and pushing for Boston. I do not yet know whether this will be a temporary or permanent break. Two weeks to go.

PLEASE donate in my mom’s memory to help children with cancer:
http://www.teamlifeline.org/mypage.php?myid=56579

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like it might be time for a sabbatical. Perhaps my friend, a short break from running for a cause, is due. You have been pushing hard for a while, and even Moses got time off for good behavior. Perhaps it is time to recruit a couple of young runners to do the leg work, and you can assist in the administrative level. As you know, there are many ways to serve a cause, and perhaps you have reached a point where a short break in the action will be good for mind, body and soul.

    ReplyDelete